The Humane Alliance Extern Training Program is a two-week (40 hours/week) program designed to deliver spay/neuter surgical instruction, and offer students a behind-the-scenes look into the world of spay/neuter and shelter medicine. The program is open to senior veterinary students attending AVMA-accredited colleges who have completed at least the course and clinical surgery portion of their veterinary training (not rotations).
Externs will experience surgical instruction and practice seven out of the program’s 10 days. The exact curriculum is determined by patient/case availability and each student’s ability. Historically, most students have performed 15-30 surgeries over the two-week period.
To apply for the program, please follow the steps below:
Step 1: Submit an Application
Indicate your interest by submitting our Application Form.
You will be contacted within one week to discuss available blocks. The application includes the following, which should be prepared ahead of time:
- A 200-300 word personal statement, which describes your career goals and why you chose our program
- A request for your Externship/Preceptorship Coordinator's contact details
- Agreement to the terms in our Memorandum of Understanding
Step 2: Confirm Dates
Once dates are confirmed, you will be sent an acceptance letter, and a pre-signed North Carolina Veterinary Medical Board Application for Interns & Preceptees (NCVMBA), as well as further instructions.
Step 3: Apply for Your Temporary License
Approximately on the 5-month mark prior to your scheduled externship, complete and mail the NCVMBA to the North Carolina Veterinary Medical Board, using the pre-signed license we sent. The NCVMBA must also include:
- A check or money order in the amount of $25
- One passport photo taken within the past six months
- A dean’s letter verifying your good academic standing and your current student status (e.g., full-time, fourth-year student)
- A copy of your Social Security card
Step 4: Submit Your Housing Payment
Three months prior to your scheduled externship, if you have indicated that you would like to stay in the Humane Alliance dorm facility, please submit payment of $100, using PayPal. Please also ensure that you bring your own sheets and pillow cases (a pillow and blanket will be provided) and towels.
Step 5: Complete the Pre-Arrival Form
Two months before your arrival, we'd like to know your experience levels a little better, so please complete the Pre-Arrival Form
Step 6: Prepare For Arrival
Please make sure you are familiar with the details of our program by reading the following information before you arrive:
- Pre-arrival Information (arrival times, what to bring, accommodation recommendations)
- Humane Alliance Protocols (surgical technique videos, drug charts, etc.)
- Recommended Reading List (spay/neuter articles to digest)
- Asheville Recommendations (restaurants, bars, etc.)